Chat Room For Ibs: Pain Under Left Rib Cage
The rib cage, also referred to as the thoracic cage, is one of the core and most fragile parts of the human skeletal system. 24 bony structures called ribs, costal cartilages, 12 thoracic vertebrae and the breast bone, all are parts that consist of the chest. A part of the human respiratory system, this bony and cartilaginous structure surrounds the thoracic cavity, which includes the lungs. It is an essential part of the human body and any pain in this region can be of serious concern, as it may indicate some serious medical condition or injury.
- Jaundice: It is caused due to excessive building up of bilirubin in blood.
- It is easily identified as the skin turns visibly yellowish.
- Liver Abscesses: It is development of pus in the liver.
- It can be a potentially dangerous condition.
Irritable bowel syndrome is a condition in which a number of gastrointestinal (GI) disturbances like stomach pain, flatulence, and modified bowel habits become a regular feature of the lives of those affected with it.
Colitis: It is the Inflammation of the Colon
It can be severe or chronic. Irregularity: It is a condition where a person has a problem in passing stools as they are hard and dry. Irregularity is also characterized by passing stools less than three times a week.
Few Causes of Bothersome Digestive Syndrome:
Food hypersensitive reactions are a common origin of IBS. So if you go through any of the above explained indications then you must examine with your physician for meals hypersensitive reactions. Keeping a meals record will help you to recognize the meals that you are hypersensitive to quickly.
- Some anti-spasmodic drugs may help to relieve the pain of IBS, as they slow the contractions in the bowel.
- Antidepressants are also known to be effective when it comes to reducing pain (and also diarrhoea).
Intolerance to Certain Foods
There are certain food items which can be responsible for a bloated stomach. Vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, sprouts, cabbages, onions, and garlic are known to cause a bloated stomach. Some dairy products as well as wheat, also might cause this condition. Excessive consumption of food products which include the protein gluten cause bloating, too. This protein acts notorious as it produces a lot of gas. If you have actually started following a high-fiber diet just recently, it is recommended that you stop this diet for a while. You can reestablish the fiber, however, gradually, so that you do not have a bloated stomach. However, do not avoid fiber from your diet plan absolutely.
- Gastric Cancer (Stomach cancer): As the name suggests, it happens when malignant cells grow in the stomach.
- It is difficult to identify at an early stage as its symptoms are similar to other digestive system illness.
- Cystic Fibrosis: It is a genetic disorder, affecting the digestive system and lungs.
- When suffering from this disease, the mucus becomes thick and can block airways, tubes, and ducts.
- Meckel's Diverticulum: This is a congenital abnormality.
- It is a small bulge at the lower part of the small intestine.
- It can lead to symptoms like stomach pain, gastrointestinal bleeding, etc
- Gas in the Colon Also known as the splenic flexure syndrome, it is another reason for discomfort under the left rib cage.
- Extreme gas gets caught in the colon and it causes pain and discomfort.
- Hiatal Hernia: It occurs when a part of stomach extends upwards through the diaphragm.
- It is commonly observed in older people.
Abdominal pain can be considered as one of the most common physical discomforts. Practically everybody of you should have experienced it at some point of time during your life. From babies to older people, everybody goes through periodic bouts of stomach pain. There are a number of causes why abdominal pain originates in the first place. It is mainly aggravated after eating. However, lower left abdominal pain after eating is quite unusual.
- Lemon Soda If you are going to have a large meal with a great deal of fried, processed foods, you can sip lemon soda throughout your meal.
- Lemon soda avoids the development of gas and hence, eliminates you of bloated stomach after eating.
- However, make it a point to sip on little parts of soda instead of gulping it down at once.
- Causes Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): This disorder affects the lower portion of the gastrointestinal tract.
- An unusual contraction in the muscles of the digestive wall often results in irritable bowel syndrome.
- This condition avoids the routine bowel movements.
- As an outcome, these patients experience rotating bouts of constipation and diarrhea along with the abdominal pain.
- The exact cause behind this abnormality is not clearly understood.
- A few of its common triggers include stress, hormone modifications and imbalance of good and bad bacteria in the intestinal tract.
- Sometimes, the sensitive nerves of the intestines end up being tensed and increase the chance of IBS.
- This is not an exhaustive list).
- Appendicitis: It is the inflammation of the appendix.
- It is a serious condition, which needs immediate surgical removal of the appendix.
- Tea A piping hot cup of tea gives you an instant relief from all the stomach ailments.
- Herbal tea and green tea are also effective in treating gastrointestinal problems.
- Treatment: This condition can be treated by medications like Lansoprazole, Esomeprazole or Dexlansoprazole.
- It is also a good idea to avoid food that causes heartburn or heartburn.
- This implies that either the nerves or the muscles involved in the digestive activities do not work in ways they should.
- The nerves though surpass those that are found in the digestive system.
- The spinal chord and the brain themselves are also involved.
- Alcoholic Liver Disease: As the name suggests, it is caused due to excess consumption of alcohol.
- The different types of alcoholic liver disease are alcoholic cirrhosis, alcoholic fatty liver disease, and alcoholic hepatitis.
So, we see that pain under the left rib cage can be caused due to various factors, from stomach problems to inflammation of cartilage or other major medical conditions. Depending on the cause, the treatment will differ. If you are experiencing any of these symptoms, you need to speak with a doctor immediately. A prompt diagnosis will help you to exact the cause, get effective treatment and avoid future complications.
Liver Cancer: It is cancer that originates in the liver or spreads from other parts to the liver. It is also known as hepatic cancer. Liver Failure: Liver failure, or hepatic failure, is the damage of liver caused due to hepatitis, cirrhosis, use of certain drugs and medication, etc. It can be acute or chronic.
- Treatment: It is important to speak with a doctor if you experience such signs.
- Medication may assist in the condition, but if left untreated for long, it might need surgical intervention.
Heartburn or Acid Reflux
Another common but less severe cause of pain under the left rib cage is heartburn or acid reflux. It is often caused when you take in excessive acidic food or drinks. It often gives a bloated sensation and a sharp pain that seems like chest pains.
- The intestinal pain may be accompanied with gas and flatulence sometimes.
- The stool may also contain mucous.
- Treatment: Antibiotics prescribed by a physician can heal the ulcer and help to get relieved of the symptoms.
- Constipation and Indigestion
- Mild stomach problems normally do not need medical intervention and can be treated with little changes in your diet and way of life.
- Together with a healthy diet, it is very important to invest a long time for workouts.
- In spite of this, if the problem persists, you may have to look for a proper medical treatment.
Because of these finding scientists think they may be a link here to colon cancer prevention. As well, prebiotics might help alleviate symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease, help manage weight, lower cholesterol, balance blood sugar, and speed up waste transit time.
People who are not able to tolerate usage of food products that contain gluten are stated to suffer from celiac disease. Gluten is a type of protein in wheat products, oats and rye. When patients diagnosed with celiac disease include gluten products in their diet, it hurts inner lining of the small intestine and is accompanied by bad digestion, extreme gas and stomach discomfort.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS): It is characterized by a wide variety of signs like stomach pain, abdominal cramps, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, etc
Treatment: In case of a mild costochondritis, non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen or aspirin can help. If the condition in chronic or serious, then opioid drugs like hydrocodone or oxycodone, or antidepressant medication like amitriptyline, might be used. It is a good idea to take plentiful of rest and restrain from any demanding activity while recovering from this condition.
Pneumothorax Pneumothorax is a condition where the lung ruptures due to a tear in the lung membrane, and air leaks out and fills the cavity between the lungs and the rib cage.
- Treatment: Proper diet and preventing food that causes indigestion and constipation would help in easing the discomfort.
- High fiber diet is recommended if you are suffering from constipation.
- Spleen Irritation Sometimes, discomfort under the left rib cage might be caused due to tear or burst of the spleen.
- Discomfort in the extreme ends of the shoulders may also be a sign of spleen rupture.
Even though there are treatments available for pancreas issues, you must take preventive steps to prevent it. You need to stop smoking and consumption of alcohol. Finally, also note that having a healthy diet and lifestyle also assists in prevention of numerous illness and disorders. Make sure!
Treatment: this Condition Needs Immediate Medical Intervention
Usually, surgery is the only option. Irritable Bowel Syndrome Irritable bowel syndrome is a common cause of discomfort under the left rib cage. It is caused by overeating or absence of fiber-rich foods, and adequate water in the diet. In this condition, the digestive organs are affected as they are not able to produce digestive enzymes that assist in the breaking down of food into easy compounds. It disrupts the normal bowel movement by causing constipation or diarrhea. Other symptoms of this condition are bloating and cramps in the intestinal tract.
Sedentary Way of life. If workout is at the bottom of your priority list everyday, then you are most likely to suffer from indigestion that is usually marked by nausea, bloated stomach, gas and belly sound.
Constipation is Defined by Hardening of Stools
As a result, more pressure and effort needs to be put in, to pass stools. It leads to annoying pain in the stomach, more so under the rib cage. Indigestion is also another common reason for the pain. A pain that starts all of a sudden can be linked to indigestion. It is normally preceded by constant burping.
- Symptoms of Irritable bowel syndrome: There are a variety of symptoms for Irritable bowel syndrome.
- Constipation is one major factor for IBS.
- It might bring with it numerous other pains like bloating and abdominal pain.
Treatment: Taking antacids and other drugs to reduce stomach acid can be of help. Avoiding hot and spicy food is a must. Diverticulitis. Diverticulitis is characterized by small, bulging sacs or pouches of the inner lining of the intestine (diverticulosis) that end up being infected. It generally affects elderly people, about the age of 60. People experiencing it experience bloating, constipation and pain under the lower chest.
To be assured of its symptoms, it happens in a different way with the various personalities. It depends from person to person. It can negatively be a lifelong condition causing some people to lose their potential of working, taking a trip, performing any social work and associating with any other activates. However, its main symptoms are the fullness, gas, blotting and abdominal pain etc. that will go for 3 days or numerous months. The people suffering from IBS can alternatively switch to diarrhea and irregularities.
People, suffering from diarrhea, face frequent loose, watery stools and one who suffers from constipation will have a hard time passing stool, as well as fewer defecation. They can not discharge any stool or just a small amount. On the consultation of your physician for the treatment of IBS, the doctors may check on the basis of the symptoms you explain to him or the pathological test or no test. Specifically there is no any particular test for checking the IBS and ultimately if doctor ask you for blood test, it is nothing but just to make it clear if you have celiac disease or a low blood count (anemia) or stool test to be made sure about the infections.
Fast Foods and Carbonated Drinks
Drinking carbonated drinks exceedingly or making a pig of on quick or fast food can also cause the stomach to rumble or growl. Junk foods are loaded with calories and for that reason no easy to digest. Thus, feasting on these fatty foods can cause indigestion and belly noise.
Benefits of Papaya Enzyme
Though the benefits of papain exist in plenty, they were not known until the 1870s; that's roughly about a century after the efficiency of papaya as a medical herb was acknowledged. After its discovery, it was subjected to comprehensive research, which established its numerous benefits; the treatment of digestive problems being just one of them. As in the case of other nutritional supplements, an overdose of papaya enzyme can lead to some negative effects, and for this reason, it is very important to have it in moderation; preferably, after consulting a doctor or dietitian. Experts recommend adding a small amount of papaya enzyme, or the papaya fruit itself, to the daily diet. Even in little doses, it can take on numerous disorders and keep you healthy in the long run.
There are Certain Parasite Such as Protozoa Which Often Leads to Diarrhoea
There is generally a loss of salt and chloride loss which results in diarrhoea. The diarrhea leads to infection in the body. Some parasites also have the tendency to thrive in the upper small intestine which also leads to gas and bloating. The issue ends up being more acute when things which are difficult o digest are being taken. This kind of acute gastrointestinal problems can sometime take place for numerous months.
There are many health problems that can lead to liver pain. One of the causes is excessive consumption of alcohol that lead to liver cirrhosis. The discomfort due to cirrhosis is felt on the right side of the abdomen.
Some doctors are actually recommending antidepressants and mood-elevating drugs such as Elavil and Prozac, believing that this will be helpful if the client's flare-ups are psychological driven. The relationship between the brain and the gut are well known and is being studied and may prove to be legitimate but when you study the potential side effects of these mind-altering drugs, it can be a blessing to have a natural alternative.
- The symptoms for IBS can be quite opposite at times like diarrhea.
- The patient may also have symptoms of intestinal cramps sometimes.
- Hemorrhoids: It is a condition characterized by inflamed veins in the anal region.
- Piles or stacks can be internal or external, and can be painful.
- Liver Cirrhosis: It is caused when healthy tissues of the liver are replaced by scar tissues.
- Scarring is a gradual non-reversible condition.
Reasons for Discomfort Under the Left Rib
Injured/cracked or Fractured Rib Cracked or fractured rib caused by accidents or severe blow/impact in that area, is one of the major reasons for pain under the left rib cage. It causes excruciating pain that intensifies with deep breathing. Such a serious injury requires immediate medical intervention. If you are experiencing such pain, it is always smart to get an x-ray done to determine the state.
- Inguinal Hernia: It occurs when a part of the stomach cavity protrudes through the inguinal canal.
- It causes a bulge in the area which can be painful.
The area between the breastbone or thorax and the pelvic bone is called abdomen. The part above the navel is referred to as upper abdomen and the one below it is called lower abdomen. It is the biggest cavity in the human body. The abdominal area includes lots of crucial body structures, like the kidneys, liver, pancreas, etc. An issue in any of them may result in abdominal pain. There can be a number of factors that can lead to left side abdominal pain. Sometimes, pain due to a particular disorder on the right side of the abdomen, radiates to the left side. It makes the detection of the correct reason behind abdominal pain a tough job. Some important ones are pointed out here:
IBS Free Diet
Before you think about following diet you must be mindful that everyone has different tolerances and can respond badly to specific foods. So you must customize your diet around your own personal information, but you can use this as a rough guideline.
- Pain in the abdominal area is also a very common symptom of IBS.
- Anti-spasmodic medications are recommended for the stomach pains which may provide some relief for the muscle spasms.
Self-Administered Colonic Massage - Constipation, Diarrhea, Gas, Bloating
How to massage your colon for relief with constipation, diarrhea, gas and bloating. Colonic massage is also helpful for baby colic and abdominal pain. Combine ...
- Abdominal cavity consists of various organs such as spleen, liver, kidneys, aorta, intestines, appendix etc.
- Abdominal pain can come from as an outcome of unusual performance of any of these organs.
- Nevertheless, there aren't numerous organs in the left lower quadrant of the abdominal cavity.
- For that reason, pain on lower left side of the abdomen is pretty rare after eating.
- There are some conditions that are known to induce this kind of pain after eating, which are as follows:
Lactose intolerance is a condition, in which, body is incapable of producing an enzyme called lactase, which is required for the breaking down of lactose. Lactose is a milk sugar, found in all dairy products. When you experience abdominal pain after eating dairy products, then most likely it is because of lactose intolerance.
Eat Small Meals
Six small meals instead of three full-course meals is valued by your system. Now, this does not mean you cut down on amount and the calories required by your body and required by your way of life. Your meals need to be in accordance with the aforementioned factors.
- Treatment: Avoiding food that triggers indigestion is a good idea.
- You can also try leaning on the back of a chair to get rid of the trapped gases.
- Antacid tablets, together with dietary changes, will assist in the condition.
So, all in all, mucus in stool during pregnancy is usually not a serious condition, but if mucus is excreted together with blood, the condition needs medical attention. You need to get in touch with a doctor so that you know the precise reason behind this condition.
- Indigestion: Also known as dyspepsia, it is a condition caused due to problem in absorbing food.
- It is a sign of numerous other diseases.
Some Info on Diarrhea
If a person suffers from an increase in the frequency of defecation or if he experiences more than normal looseness of stool, he is said to suffer from diarrhea. Along with stools, a large volume of water will also be expelled. In most cases, this condition lasts just for a few days, but sometimes may last for as long as two weeks or longer. The conditions which are generally seen with diarrhea are: If you have diarrhea, it is important that you drink lots of water and keep yourself well hydrated.
Adding Salts to Water Will Guarantee You are Not Dehydrated
Often it is seen that people who have diarrhea also suffer from dehydration. You need not rush to the doctor immediately as diarrhea goes away on its own. However, in case of dehydration, vomiting, severe abdominal pain, fever or bloody stools, you will have to seek help from your health care professional. Remember not to self deal with the condition and let the doctor do the diagnosis of the condition.
Treatment: If diagnosed with a serious cracked or broken rib, it is a good idea to speak with a doctor instantly and get a surgical treatment scheduled. You need to also get a CT or MRI scan done to rule out any nerve damage. If the crack is small, it usually heals on its own in a month or two. You can use pain killers to relieve the pain. In any case, it is very important to consult your doctor first.
Medications Apart from dietary modifications and exercise, medications can be required at times to handle signs like irregularity, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps. Usually, a fiber-rich diet plan and adequate fluid intake need to help alleviate constipation. If these simple remedies fail to guarantee regular bowel movements, then laxatives might be required. Examples of some commonly used laxatives are: