Ibs D Treatment: Licorice Root Side Effects
Licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a legume, and its roots have a sweet flavor. The roots contain substances, like anethole and glycyrrhizic acid, that are responsible for the sweetness and other properties of this herb. Licorice was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians for therapeutic purposes. This herb was used for treating stomach disorders as well as breathing problems. It was very widely used in Asia and Europe too. Today, licorice is used as flavoring agent and as a natural medicine. It is available as root extract, tablets, root tea, candies, etc. You may also come across tobacco products flavored with licorice. However, usage of licorice in high doses, that too for a long term, may result in serious side effects.
Factors that are believed to play an important role in the development of this condition are, a problem in the brain-gut signal (which manages the functioning of the intestine), gastroenteritis, bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, sensitivity of the colon to certain food, stress, psychological problems, and changes in the levels of neurotransmitters that send nerve signals between the brain and the gastrointestinal (GI) system. Even hormonal imbalance has been suspected to be related to IBS, as this condition is more widespread in women, and its symptoms often aggravate before or during menstruation.
- Other Causes: Some infections caused by protozoan parasites giardiasis and amoebiasis can be responsible for this condition.
- Some other underlying health problems like gallbladder disease, liver disease, diabetes, and poor nutrition are the other excessive diarrhea causes.
Has Been Observed that Most of the Side Effects are Caused by High Dosages
Licorice roots should not be taken by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis, kidney problems, heart diseases, low blood potassium levels, estrogen-sensitive disorders, etc. Pregnant and nursing women and small kids ought to also avoid use of this herb. It is better to prevent licorice, if you are taking diuretics or heart medication. In case, you wish to use this herb for medical purposes, consult a qualified herbal practitioner and follow his instructions.
Benefits. Bentonite clay, when put in a liquid colloidal-gel state, works great for diarrhea, viral infections, food allergies, spastic colitis, food poisoning, abdominal cramps, depression, nausea, anorexia, etc. When taken internally, it promotes detoxification of the intestinal tract canal by removing all the toxic substances and waste from your body. It is used to treat constipation, bloating and gas. It also promotes beneficial bacterial balance in the digestive system, and helps increase immune system by way of liver detoxification and colon clean. Several other commercial benefits of the clay add to its value.
Here is a short list of the probable causes of this condition: Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) Irritable bowel syndrome is a typical gastrointestinal tract problem that is marked by abnormal gut contraction. The characteristic symptoms are pain in the abdomen, passage of mucus-coated stools, flatulence, stomach cramping, and irregular bowel movements with alternating constipation and diarrhea.
- Celiac Disease: It is an autoimmune disorder, affecting the small intestine.
- People experience severe side effects on taking in gluten-containing foods.
- Treatment: Proper high-fiber diet in addition to use of laxatives is recommended for treating this syndrome.
- Stomach Ulcers
Recently, People Have Started Using the Green Part of the Leaves as Well
The outer part of the aloe leaves are crushed, and made into aloe vera juice, or dried and used as a laxative. Aloe vera juice in itself has quite a number of health benefits, which includes relief from digestive problems, constipation, heartburn and irritable bowel syndrome. It is believed to be beneficial in regulating the high blood pressure and sugar levels. Aloe vera juice is said to be a potent drink that is useful for strengthening the immune system. Sadly, while raving about the benefits of this amazing beverage, the negative effects of this drink have remained unnoticed.
Spastic colon is the another name of irritable bowel syndrome, which is a gastrointestinal disorder. The term spastic colon means an increase in the spontaneous contractions of the muscles of the large intestine, or their spasms. However, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) can also trigger a decrease in the contractions of the large intestinal muscles. IBS is generally classified as a functional gastrointestinal disorder, as it is related to how the intestine works, and not with any kind of damage to the intestinal tissues.
Causes and Symptoms of IBS
Causes Despite all the research carried out, the reasons for IBS or spastic colon are not well-understood. Researchers are of the opinion that a range of factors can trigger this condition. In IBS, the contractions of the digestive tract muscles can be much stronger, and they can last longer than usual, which in turn can trigger food to move through the intestine much faster. This can cause gas, bloating, and diarrhea. The opposite can also occur, and food can remain in the intestinal tract for a long time. As a result, the stool can become tough and difficult to pass.
- Crohn's Disease: It is an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), characterized by inflammation in the lining of the intestinal tract.
- Genes and improper functioning of the immune system are believed to be the possible causes.
- Barrett's Esophagus: It is a complication of GERD.
- Individuals suffering from Barrett's Esophagus are at a high risk of struggling with esophageal cancer.
Lastly, you need to remember that most of the above mentioned causes can be effectively treated if prompt treatment is undertaken. Therefore, you should not ignore any kind of pain and symptoms. Take care!
Bavolex Irritable Bowel Syndrome ReliefBavolex IBS Relief contains calming botanical ingredients formulated to gently support and soothe the digestive tract. Bavolex's ingredients have been used safely for many years to support healthy digestive tract, help reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Lowering bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been proven to ease the flare-ups associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
More about This Product »
- Pain in left side of the rib cage might also be an indication of the presence of stomach ulcer.
- Depending on the severity of the condition, the discomfort may last longer or numerous go away in a few minutes.
Causes When talking about underlying causes, it has been observed that constipation, indigestion and diarrhea are the three most commonly knowledgeable conditions that cause stomach pain. Apart from these, the following are the other significant and possible causes to look out for.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) encompasses a group of health conditions, which causes pain and pain in the gastrointestinal tract.
- The most common symptoms of IBS include abdominal pain, stomach pain, bloating, constipation, and diarrhea.
- It is estimated that one out of every five Americans struggles with the symptoms of this syndrome.
- Though IBS disturbs the regular day-to-day activities, it rarely triggers long-term health complications.
Consumption of Greens
A green bowel movement is usually the reaction to a particular constituent in the diet. Sounds bizarre, isn't it? However, it holds true! Consuming large number of leafy greens such as lettuce, spinach, broccoli, etc., may conduce to green bowel movements. The high chlorophyll content in the vegetables triggers the greenish color. What goes in, comes out! So, how do you expect the bowel movement to not be green after ingesting all those packages of leaves?
Crohn's Disease: Crohn's Disease is a Common Cause of Colitis
Crohn's disease is a condition which affects the whole of the digestive tract and this means that it can cause more varied symptoms and side effects. In some cases Crohn's disease can trigger serious complications as the immune system is malfunctioning and the body is no longer able to absorb nutrients to the same degree. Crohn's disease treatment is also more complicated. Corticosteroids may be used to reduce swelling, but can not be used for prolonged periods due to negative effects. Likewise surgery is not a cure since course the whole of the of the digestive tract can not possible be removed.
- Gluten Allergy You may also be allergic to gluten which is a protein found in wheat.
- The gluten causes damage to your intestines, thereby leading to constant diarrhea.
What treatment options help cure IBS-D and what care should be taken to get rid of the symptoms
Treating ibs and diarrhea diet, medications, supplements, and more . , . . . . Treating irritable bowel syndrome (ibs) and diarrhea treatment options include dietary ...
- The medications that are specifically used for treating diarrhea are: Loperamide.
- Bile acid-binding representatives.
Dietary ModificationsPeople with spastic colon are often required to make some dietary changes to manage this condition. In general, it has been observed that the inclusion of more fiber-rich foods in the diet can help reduce the frequency of IBS attacks. Though the foods that activate IBS can be different for different individuals, patients of IBS are usually recommended to limit the consumption of those foods that can stimulate the intestine. Some such foods are:
Donnatal Levsin Levbid Pro-Banthine (propantheline) Bentyl Antidepressant medications can also be prescribed, if the client experiences depression along with abdominal pain. These drugs can increase pain tolerance, and treat depression and stress and anxiety experienced by the patients of spastic colon. Two other medications that are specifically used for IBS treatment are, alosetron and lubiprostone. Alosetron is a nerve receptor antagonist that can relax the colon, and slow down the movement of waste through it.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) or also knows as spastic colon, is a digestive order which in fact affects millions of people and it commonly affects young female adults. This may end up being embarrassing in times where you have to concentrate in very important matters such as in your workplace. If you were to provide a report in front of the whole company staff and IBS strikes you at that very moment, it would be awfully embarrassing to excuse yourself in the middle of your report, you yourself interrupting the whole thing.
Severe Abdominal Pain and Cramps May Require Anticholinergic Drugs and Dicyclomine
Anticholinergics are antispasmodic medications, that help reduce the level of sensitivity of the colon to stress and certain specific foods. The common antispasmodic agents used for the treatment of IBS are:
- Treatment: Proper diet along with medication prescribed by a doctor will help in the condition.
- As soon as the sacs in the intestines are formed, they will stay for a lifetime.
- Changes in lifestyle is important to get relief.
The gastrointestinal disorders may contribute to trigger, or be the sole cause of leading to severe pain in the flank region. Peptic ulcers, food poisoning, gastroenteritis, and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are some of the major perpetrators to affect the area. Primarily, it is when your digestive system suffers a chronic disorientation that neck and back pain, resulting in discomfort in the region, may occur. Nausea, feeling lightheaded, regurgitation, and acid reflux are the accompanying symptoms.
Despite the fact that you will discover constraints for the IBS Diet Plan as folks who have problems with IBS have normally established food tolerances, the application of this technique to manage an individual's indication are usually favorable. Food items which are to be included in the IBS Diet Strategy are generally modest, yet are in fact found to increase the individual's gastrointestinal movements in addition to ease quite a few signs of the problem.
- Costochondritis Costochondritis is a condition wherein the cartilages linking the ribs with the breast bone are infected and inflamed.
- It is caused due to a viral infection, and it causes sharp gnawing pain under the left rib cage, more so while breathing deeply.
- The symptoms of costochondritis are often confused with that of a heart attack.
- Medical examination can help identify the scenario.
Sacramento mothers of Middle Eastern and similar Mediterranean area descent have for generations cared for colic by feeding their children a kind of probiotic called infantis (understood commercially in the USA as bifantis). Now, investigates have shown how the probiotic works. It's familiar to the majority of Middle Eastern moms to put a drop of Binfantis, which some mothers call 'infantis' on the tip of their pinky and touched the idea of the infant's tongue with the probiotic if their child has colic. And it seems to work to calm the colic and quiet the infant. However what is in 'infantis' that actually silences colic in children that would cry for hours with colic?
The condition is ironic due to the fact that lactose deficiency makes digestion of lactose challenging. Lactose can be found in sugar, milk, and dairy products. People having this disorder will often experience diarrhea and bloating after consuming dairy products or lactose containing foods.
An Upset Stomach With Diarrhea and Vomiting are Signs of Food Poisoning or Viral Infection
If diarrhea occurs on a regular basis, or persists for a very long time, then it could be related to parasitic infection, irritable bowel syndrome, or spastic colon. When it gives a continuous heartburn, it is possibly brought on by acid reflux disease.
Bentonite Clay Contains Only 17 Minerals
This low number is responsible for a greater potential to absorb other molecules. Therefore the absorptive abilities come from the low number of minerals present in it. When the contaminant molecules get incorporated in the clay particles, your body can expel the toxin-filled clay in normal bowel movements. Betntonite clay mask help you get a clean and glowing skin as it helps in the purification of cells under skin. It is commonly used in homemade facials.
- But alosetron can cause some serious issues, for which it was removed from the market soon after its approval.
- Presently, the FDA has permitted the use of this drug with certain restrictions.
- It can be prescribed by doctors enrolled in a special program.
- They can prescribe the drug for dealing with severe IBS in women.
- This drug is not approved for use by guys.
- Lubiprostone on the other hand, is usually recommended for men and women having IBS with constipation.
- It is a chloride channel activator that can increase fluid secretion in the small intestine.
- Treatment Consulting the doctor is the first thing to do if these symptoms are observed.
- The doctor will ask the patient to undertake blood and urine tests.
- Treating dehydration is the first step to be followed as diarrhea triggers dehydration.
- Therefore, the doctor will recommend the person to have electrolytic fluids and water.
- In case of severe diarrhea and dehydration, hospitalization, and IV fluids may be required.
- The more treatment entirely depends on the underlying cause.
Milk of magnesia. Bisacodyl. Senokot. The long-term use of laxatives is however not recommended, as they can cause dependence, or loss of normal bowel function.
- Laxative Use Excessive use of laxatives also results in green bowels.
- This is because the laxative causes the bowels motions to take place very quickly, thereby causing the bowel to end up with discolored wastes.
But there is more than one type of colitis, there is more than one type of colitis treatment and knowing the difference between them is important to help with diagnosis and treatment. Here we will take a look at the most common forms.
Licorice roots are otherwise known as sweet wood, sweet root, black sugar, and liquorice. The most common use of licorice root is for dealing with respiratory problems, like bronchitis and asthma. It is also widely used as an expectorant, and is an active ingredient in cough syrups. It is found to be effective for relieving the symptoms of allergic conditions, like hay fever and allergic rhinitis.