Bowel Irritable Syndrome Understanding: Licorice Root Side Effects
Licorice plant (Glycyrrhiza glabra) is a vegetable, and its roots have a sweet flavor. The roots contain compounds, like anethole and glycyrrhizic acid, that are responsible for the sweet taste and other properties of this herb. Licorice was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians for therapeutic purposes. This herb was used for treating stomach conditions as well as breathing problems. It was very widely used in Asia and Europe too. Today, licorice is used as flavoring agent and as a herbal medicine. It is available as root extract, tablets, root tea, candies, etc. You may also come across tobacco products flavored with licorice. Nevertheless, usage of licorice in high doses, that too for a long term, may result in serious side effects.
Dos and Do N'ts
The treatment of flatulence usually involves the use of antacids, digestive enzymes, simethicone, bismuth subsalicylate, activated charcoal supplements, etc. Following certain steps will certainly show beneficial.
During IBS, Person May Switch in Between Diarrhea and Constipation
People with diarrhea face frequent, watery, loose stool which are hard to control. They will have an urgent need to have a bowel movement. Whereas, people with constipation might find hard to pass stool or usually have few defecation. They often feel the need to pass stool. People with constipation might feel the cramps with bowel movement. For some people symptoms may get worse foe couple of days or weeks and then slowly decrease whereas in some signs are present the majority of the time. There are possibilities the person experiencing IBS lose his/her appetite.
- Flatulence can become a cause of social embarrassment when there is increased passage of foul-smelling gas.
- The bad smell is attributed to the presence of skatole, indole, and sulfur compounds.
- Some people might even lose voluntary control over the passage of flatus.
- Treatment: Proper high-fiber diet together with use of laxatives is recommended for treating this syndrome.
- Stomach Ulcers
- Diagnosis There is no clear test to identify if you are suffering from this condition.
- However, your GP will search for signs of typical IBS signs and also ask you to go through a physical examination.
Diet & Cures
It's obvious Irritable Bowel Syndrome isn't a pleasant experience to withstand. The good news is there are many ways to manage symptoms and "flare" to make it a very manageable condition. Listed below are some good guidelines to follow and make your life as IBS-free as possible:
- Symptoms: Serious discomfort is specifically experienced on the best side of the abdominal area as the appendix is located there.
- Other symptoms like fever, vomiting, anorexia nervosa, queasiness, diarrhea, etc., are also observed.
- Treatment Consulting the doctor is the first thing to do if these symptoms are observed.
- The doctor will ask the patient to undertake blood and urine tests.
- Treating dehydration is the first step to be followed as diarrhea causes dehydration.
- For that reason, the doctor will advise the person to have electrolytic fluids and water.
- In case of severe diarrhea and dehydration, hospitalization, and IV fluids may be needed.
- The more treatment completely depends on the underlying cause.
Diseases of the Digestive System
Acid reflux illness (GERD), hiatal hernia, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), etc., are some of the most typical illness of the gastrointestinal system. The prominent disease-causing parasites in human are Campylobacter, Salmonella and Helicobacter. The following is a list of digestive system illness.
Secondly, symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome can be treated by medications. Nevertheless, there is no permanent cure to it. You have to make dietary changes to get relief from it. Menstrual cramps can be dealt with by taking pain medication and plenty of rest. Pelvic inflammatory disease in women can be treated with the help of antibiotics. Sometimes, if PID is detected during pregnancy, the woman may require hospitalization. Physical therapy can also help in dealing with pelvic pain.
Hydrolyzed Guar Gum
It is a water-soluble and non-gelling fiber. This fiber helps in decreasing diarrhea and constipation. It also helps in minimizing abdominal pain. Bacteria such as lactobacilli and bifidobacteria, that are useful for our body, are also increased by it.
Small Intestine It is the longest part of the alimentary canal which assists in the digestion of food and the absorption of nutrients.
Diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome *
For some people, a strict diet can be a solution for irritable bowel syndrome. * There are certain foods that contain probiotics that can offer the support that your body needs. * Furthermore, there are some foods that your body just might not agree with as a result of IBS. Therefore, changing your diet to assist with irritable bowel syndrome can be an option for people who want natural relief. * There are OTC products that you can take to alleviate symptoms, but you have to bear in mind that these don't provide relief from the cause of the concern at all. *.
- Colonic massage is another extremely efficient method to get rid of IBS.
- It works marvels in case of baby and children as it relieves colic pains and assists them to pass gas and stool easily.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Finding out the exact cause behind this problem is a challenging task. This is since the characteristics of different kinds of intestinal discomfort are very similar to each other. Even the accompanying signs can not be distinguished easily from one another. Initially, the doctor tries to identify the trigger by physical examination of the abdomen and studying the nature of the pain. Then different laboratory tests, such as, radiological tests, endoscopy, etc. are done to validate their findings.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome - CRASH! Medical Review Series
Disclaimer: The medical information contained herein is intended for physician medical licensing exam review purposes only, and are not intended for diagnosis ...
Apart from recommending the usual medications required for pain relief, doctors deal with the underlying infection or any other disease, responsible for the pain. Foods high in fiber ought to be included in the meals in order to enhance the bowel movements. Drinking of plenty of water and other liquids are likewise advised. There are some limitations regarding the food to be consumed by the patient. One should keep away from fatty foods, spicy foods, citrus fruits, caffeine, alcohol, carbonated drinks, etc.
Excessive buildup of gas in the digestive tract is often observed in people who follow a diet that is rich in complex carbohydrates or insoluble dietary fiber. The major reason behind flatulence is bacterial fermentation of specific complex sugars such as raffinose, starches, stachyose, sorbitol, etc., in the colon. Extreme gas could also be attributed to aerophagia (swallowing excess air), which in turn may be attributed to eating food hastily, especially without chewing it properly. Prolonged use of antibiotics, misuse of laxatives, and intolerance to gluten, lactose, or man-made food additives could also be the reason behind excessive gas.
Difficult bowel movements are normally a result of a condition called irregularity. The majority of you may be familiar with this term and it's symptoms. In this condition, the stool ends up being tough, lumpy and dry. When the stool stays in the gastrointestinal system for more than Two Days, the fluid it contains is reabsorbed by the body. This triggers it to become hard, dry and tough to pass from the body. Constipation has the tendency to become chronic if not dealt within time, where in very serious cases, it might trigger pain and bleeding while passing stool. For the most parts, all it takes are a couple of home remedies to cure this issue. Nevertheless, in more serious cases, it is essential to check out a doctor and understand the root cause of the issue. Here, we take a look at the causes, effects and treatment for this issue.
- First: Fiber that is incompletely or slowly digested promotes normal bowl function and treats constipation.
- This type of fiber also helps prevent diverticulosis and diverticulitis.
- It offers relief from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) which is also on the rise.
- Second: Fiber-rich foods are processed more slowly by the body.
- This is a great benefit if you're trying to lose weight!
- When foods process more slowly, you feel 'pleased' or 'full' much faster than normal.
- This makes it easy to eat less at mealtime.
- Pain in left side of the rib cage might also be a sign of the existence of stomach ulcer.
- Depending on the severity of the condition, the discomfort may last longer or numerous go away in a few minutes.
Mucus is nothing but a white or yellow fluid which helps in lubricating the air passage and gastrointestinal tract. Besides lubrication, this fluid safeguards the surface of the digestive, respiratory, and excretory system versus destructive agents like stomach acids. During pregnancy, a woman's body goes through various changes; out of which mucus in her stool is common. It is not an unusual occurrence, and usually disappears within a couple of days.
Has Been Observed that Most of the Side Effects are Caused by High Doses
Licorice roots should not be taken by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, cirrhosis, kidney problems, heart diseases, low blood potassium levels, estrogen-sensitive disorders, etc. Pregnant and nursing women and little kids should also avoid use of this herb. It is much better to prevent licorice, if you are taking diuretics or heart medication. In case, you wish to use this herb for medicinal purposes, consult a qualified herbal practitioner and follow his instructions.
Right flank pain during pregnancy can be caused due to an ectopic pregnancy. This is one common reason for flank pain episodes in women, and it can be easily identified with a pelvic ultrasound. Endometriosis is a condition in which the tissue-- similar to the lining of the uterus-- is found in the pelvic cavity. The most common symptom of endometriosis is pelvic and flank pain. Ovarian cysts, in some cases are accountable for flank pain in women.
Causes When talking about underlying causes, it has been observed that constipation, indigestion and diarrhea are the three most typically skilled conditions that cause stomach pain. Apart from these, the following are the other significant and possible causes to watch out for.
- Large Intestine It is the most affordable part of the gastrointestinal system.
- Its functions are soaking up water and passing the waste material out of the body.
- It begins at the cecum and ends at the anus.
Soluble fiber stimulates bowel movements and prevents constipation to a great extent. It is also known to regulate blood pressure. It also reduces the chances of the occurrence of heart diseases, as it lowers the level of cholesterol in the blood. It also reduces the risk of many types of cancer. Insoluble fiber, specifically, prevents and treats irregularity. It is also known to reduce the risk of colon cancer.
Apart from these, food allergy or intolerance, flatulence, celiac disease, diverticulitis, Crohn's disease, kidney stone, gallstones, ectopic pregnancy, menstrual cramps, etc., are some of the other potential causes that can not be ignored. Determining the underlying cause is essential; and hence, the first thing you need to do is to speak with the doctor immediately.
Conditions that May Cause White Mucus in Stool
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). This condition affects the large intestine. Apart from the presence of mucus in stool, other symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome include stomach pain, gas, constipation, diarrhea and bloating.
- Gas that is present in the stomach usually goes through the mouth when we burp, while the digestive tract gas is released through the rectum.
- Distressing symptoms such as pain or bloating might occur when gas stays trapped in the digestive tract.
- Treatment: Proper diet together with medication prescribed by a doctor will help in the condition.
- When the sacs in the intestinal tracts are formed, they will stay for a lifetime.
- Changes in way of life is important to get relief.
Infection A urinary tract infection is one of the main mucus in urine causes. The mucus mainly comes from the WBC (White Blood Cells) which go into the urine to prevent the infection from spreading. If you are experiencing cloudy urine due to an infection, then you will also experience other signs like abdominal pain, painful feeling while urination, fever, nausea, and flank pain. If you experience mucus in urine on a regular basis, it's much better to get yourself looked for an infection.
Small Intestine Infections
Infection in the small intestine is mainly caused by bacteria or infection. Usually, it occurs due to consumption of contaminated food and drinks. If infected by infection, it is called viral gastroenteritis. At times, infectious organisms may be transmitted from other internal parts of the body. Digestive tract infection signs are loss of appetite, stomach cramps, constipation, and diarrhea.
To find out more on probiotics diarrhea, constipation, and IBS, rely on David Nash. He writes short articles on the very best probiotic reviews, natural remedies, and explores lactobacillus acidophilus to assist customers stay notified.
Having a practice of exercising is always good. There are a lot of good things that features staying fit or doing things to have a healthy lifestyle. One of its effects is avoiding IBS. There are sites on the Internet that may tell you the same thing such as ibstreatment.com. Most illness or disorders can be avoided and being in the know of these things is quite effective.