Activa Yogurt Ibs: Small Intestine Diseases
The small intestine, which is also called small bowel, is the section of the intestinal tract that is located between the stomach and the large intestine. The small intestine makes up duodenum, jejunum, and ileum. Though it is called little intestine, it is really the biggest part of the digestive tract. The length of the small intestine in adults is around 6 meters. Though the large intestine is about 1.5 meters long, it is called so due to its width. While the small intestine is around 2.5 to 3.5 cm wide, the size of the large intestine has to do with 10 cm. Small bowel performs vital functions involving digestion of food and absorption of essential nutrients from the food into the body. There are a number of diseases that can affect the function of the small bowel in an adverse way.
Symptoms: Children affected by this condition are likely to experience severe abdominal pain, bloating, irregularity, nausea, vomiting and sudden weight loss. In adults, the symptoms consist of joint pain, seizures, fatigue and anemia. Irregularities in menstruation could be experienced by women who suffer from celiac disease.
Good or Bad?
Now we have finally reached the conclusive point of the uncertainty about flaxseed oil. Well, regardless of being cited as the wealthiest plant source of different nutrients, flaxseed and its oil has various side effects. Although abundant in fatty acids, they are not enough to provide you all the health and healing properties that you need. In reality, various clinical studies have proven in the past that most of the so-called benefits of flaxseed oil are absolutely nothing but a marketing extravaganza.
Order to boost up their sales and market value of their products, many manufacturers have started to draw in support for a few false health effects. It is true that this oil includes numerous essential nutrients, but their quantity is not enough to provide significant health benefits! Hence, according to scientists, claims of flaxseed oil being effective against different types of cancer like prostate cancer, breast cancer, inflammation and different inflammatory diseases and various autoimmune illness, are not so true. In fact, experts claim that increased consumption of this oil may rather worsen particular medical conditions like diabetes and digestion illness.
- Eating foodstuffs that are not cooked effectively or prepared in unsanitary conditions can cause food poisoning.
- Having contaminated food makes a person fall sick and the illness may give rise to green defecation.
Stools floating is perfectly normal, thanks to its high water content. Stools that float typically have brownish-yellow color. They are soft, but that does not mean they are watery. Most importantly, they are not hard, hence one does not experience any pain during defecation. Normal stools that float have a diameter of around 3-3.5 cm and they do not produce any foul odor. Also, the floating poop is not large in size and every bowel movement tosses 3-4 medium-sized stools.
Ulcerative Colitis: Ulcerative colitis is colitis in which the swelling is a result of autoimmune function where the body immune system has started assaulting the colon. This then causes the look of numerous ulcers on the colon in addition to the broken function. In extreme cases treatment for ulcerative colitis is surgery (colectomy) but in immunotherapy can be utilized in order to prevent the immune system from turning on the colon.
Kayy's Activia Challenge
January 14 2012 i decided to take the Activia Challenge. I'm a dancer with an acid refulx condition i was told is GERD. I also have digestive problems passed ...
- Excessive consumption of green veggies may result in green defecation which is considered as typical.
- Intake of some medications, supplements, or gastrointestinal disorder might result in green stools.
- Children sometimes consume chalks or wax colors.
- In that case, green stool may be noticed.
- For the most parts, green stools indicate dysfunction of colon.
As stress has been considered as one of the causes of IBS, a part of the treatment also consists of taking up measures which might help in managing stress. Parents must make sure that their kids are getting enough sleep, as well as enough time to be involved in video games and sports. They must also be aware if the kids are working excessive at school, and if they are somehow avoiding meals in any part of the day.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common term used to explain a variety of stomach illness and disorders. The accurate cause of IBS is unknowned, nevertheless, it is believed that sensitivity of the bowel muscles can lead to this illness. Muscle cramps, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal and pelvic pain are the signs of IBS.
Bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract, that triggers inflammation of the intestine can also trigger floating stools. For instance, people affected with irritable bowel syndrome, pass stools that have the tendency to float. Also, in this condition, too much of mucus is observed in the stools. Also, during bowel movement the person experiences abdominal cramps. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's illness and ulcerative colitis that cause inflammation and advancement of ulcers in the intestine can also lead to feces drifting. Besides, blood in the stools can also be discovered and is followed by abdominal cramping. In this condition, the stool also appear black and tarry.
- Stomach pain is caused due to minor conditions, it can be treated with pain killers or by taking rest.
- However, it is recommended not to take any medication without prescription.
Pancreas is a tube-shaped organ, located behind the stomach. Its head lies on the ideal side while its tail extends towards the left side of the body. Conditions like long term usage of alcohol and gallstones result in inflammation of the pancreas. Such a condition is medically explained by the term pancreatitis.
- Causes: Certain medical conditions can put a person at a greater risk of developing SBBO.
- These include selective IgA deficiency, motility conditions, diabetes, intestinal obstruction, diverticulosis, and scleroderma.
- Treatment: Complications can occur when the contents of the intestine spill over from the perforation into the abdomen.
- The treatment of this condition involves repairing the perforation through surgery.
Causes: This condition can result from trauma to the intestine during a surgery. Perforation could also take place during procedures such as enema or colonoscopy. Swallowing a sharp object can also lead to an injury. Medical conditions that can make a person susceptible to this condition include appendicitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, roundworm invasion, or cancer.
- Gas-producing Food There are certain foods, which are known for causing gas trouble, which in turn lead to a bloated stomach.
- Foods, such as beans, beans, cabbage, etc. feature in this category.
Symptoms: A person who is suffering from this condition is likely to experience symptoms such as pain, a feeling of fullness, extreme gas, distended stomach, diarrhea, bloating, or stomach cramps.
Sleepiness is the most commonly observed side effect of Xanax in dogs. So your pet if put on this antianxiety medication may become too sleepy. However, this extreme sleepiness can make your pet somewhat awkward. However, this sedative impact in your animal may suggest that it has been administered in higher doses than recommended. Xanax, when given at a lower dose, can help relieve stress and anxiety without causing any sedation. So make sure that the drug is administered in the right dose. Other side effects that may occur include gastrointestinal upset, which may cause throwing up, gas, and diarrhea.
Treatment - if the condition gets diagnosed at an early stage, then medications to soften stools, suppositories and other medications are good enough to correct the condition. However, when the condition becomes too severe to be treated with medicines, surgery is the only option to fix the problem.
Foods for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Some think that they can only consume bland or dull food when experiencing IBS, but that is not real. Depending on the intensity of your irritable bowel syndrome, you may discover that only a few foods cause issues. In general, there are only a few foods that you should prevent if you want to stop a flare-up. These foods frequently trigger issues in multiple clients suffering from the condition.
- Symptoms: The symptoms of these conditions include abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- Treatment: The treatment involves the use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- In severe cases, surgery may be recommended.
Anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) will know that coping with it is really awful. You never ever know when the next attack is going to strike. Some patients are always on the lookout for the closest toilet and prepare their day around not being too far away from a bathroom. Other people do not go there often enough. Either way, the discomfort can be awful.
- Constipation Constipation is a health condition where a person has a trouble in having regular bowel movement.
- It can be persistent or acute, and can occur due to various factors.
- Abdominal pain are bloating are the common symptoms of constipation.
Crohn's disease is another kind of inflammatory bowel disease that is defined by the swelling of the gastrointestinal system. The precise reason for Crohn's illness is unknown, but it is believed that the swelling could be an abnormal reaction of the body immune system. Genetics and environmental aspects might play a role in the advancement of this condition. Crohn's disease tends to run in families, and those who have a household history of this persistent inflammatory condition are more likely to obtain affected. The typical signs of this condition consist of consistent diarrhea, stomach discomfort, cramps, anorexia nervosa, weight loss, fatigue, rectal bleeding, etc. The clients might establish anal fissures (tear in the lining of the rectum) or fistula (a small channel that develops between the anal canal and the skin around the rectum).
Medical problems associated with gastrointestinal tract can also lead to floating and foul-smelling stool. However, in this case, feces drifting is commonly accompanied by staining of stools. Also the water content and the texture in these stools deviates from typical expectations. It is explained below:
- Diarrhea can be described as a condition where loose bowel movements happen due to some abnormality in the intestinal tracts.
- Lots of people incorrectly presume it to be a disease, however really it is a symptom that indicates an underlying illness in the body.
- When the loose bowel movements occur several times in a day, then it is thought about as excessive diarrhea.
- It is frequently accompanied by bloating, queasiness, throwing up, abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite, etc.
- When a large amount of fluid is lost from the body, extreme diarrhea triggers dehydration.
Small Bowel Overgrowth Syndrome
Both the small and large intestine contain certain strains of bacteria. An individual is diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth when these bacteria are present in abnormally large numbers in the small intestine.
- Soluble fiber supplements: These supplements are produced by pharmaceutical companies and are based on various ranges of fiber.
- Psyllium is one such type.
- It is a soluble plant fiber.
- Numerous widely known fiber supplements such as Metamucil and Konsyl are based on psyllium.
- It is understood to alleviate irregularity and is likewise a dietary fiber supplement for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
- Methylcellulose and guar gum are other examples of plant fiber, which form the basis of synthetic fiber supplements.
- A well-known synthetic fiber is calcium polycarbophil.
- The drugs called Fibercon and Equalactin are made with it.
- Diverticulitis Diverticulitis is a condition that develops when the diverticula or the sacs located inside the stomach get inflamed.
- Sharp stomach pain, fever, nausea, modifications in bowel habits, etc., are the signs of diverticulitis.
- Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be caused due to numerous factors.
- In most of the cases, it is caused due to an injury or a condition in any of the vital organs situated in the abdomen.
- Nevertheless, there can also be other underlying causes.
Eating Too Fast and/or Overeating
Due to a busy lifestyle, many a time, people do not have the time to eat in leisure. Eating too fast should be avoided as it can cause a bloated stomach. At times, we skip our meals, and when we do eat, we have the tendency to overeat. This burdens the digestive system causing a bloated feeling in the stomach.
Xanax can interact with certain drugs such as barbiturates, which may exacerbate its sedative properties. Also, antifungal agents like ketoconazole and itraconazole can slow down the metabolism of Xanax, making its sedative effect last longer. So, inform your doctor if your pet is put on any other medication.
Need a simple, non-invasive breath tests to find out whether you have fructose, lactose and sorbitol malabsorption and small intestine bacterial overgrowth? Take the test from Stream Diagnostics, Australia's leading provider of hydrogen/methane breath tests.
Small Intestine Cancer
Cancer is a serious medical condition that is characterized by development of a growth due to abnormal and uncontrolled cell division. Small bowel cancer is rare when compared with other cancers of the intestinal tract. There are five types of cancer that can affect the small bowel. These include adenocarcinoma, intestinal stromal tumor, lymphoma, sarcoma, and carcinoid tumors.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test: This is one test that is used when blood in feces is not visible to the naked eye.
- In such a case, unusual color may not be seen, due to presence of small amount of blood in stool.
- This test is the most reliable way to confirm blood in feces.
- In order to diagnose the underlying cause, numerous blood tests are performed.
- This is a low-cost, non invasive treatment that provides details about the precise quantity of blood in stool sample.
- An easy method to carry out fecal occult blood test is given below:
- Green Bile As we all know, the liver produces a green colored digestive juice known as the bile.
- The production of bile is necessary to make sure proper digestion of food.
- It is a known fact that stool development takes place in the big intestine.
- When the bile goes into the large intestine, it eventually turns yellowish brown and after that mixes with the stool.
- This is the reason why stool appears brown in color.
- However, if the bile and the stool formed move quickly out of the large intestinal tract, it is not likely that the bile will become yellow.
- So, with the bile color remaining the same (green), the waste matter also appears greenish-yellow throughout bowel movement.
- Salmonella: This pathogen can cause salmonella food poisoning.
- Salmonella infection, typically is caused due to polluted poultry items, like raw eggs.
Intestinal Parasitic Infections: Another quite common cause is amoebiasis. This is an infectious disease that affects the large intestine, and is mostly contracted when somebody eats or drinks contaminated food or water, containing Entamoeba histolytica, an intestinal parasite. In this disease, the amoeba attach themselves to the large intestine, and cause serious symptoms like bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, and fever. In the initial phases there are mostly no symptoms, but if the person's immunity is low, or if the number of amoeba all of a sudden increase, then the symptoms end up being visible. This condition is contagious, as the stool that is passed includes the parasites, hence, it can contaminate the water that it comes in contact with, and spread. Another example of an intestinal parasite is giardiasis, where the causative agent for the condition is a parasite called Giardia lamblia.
Medications In case the person is having green vegetables in moderate amounts and also is not suffering from intestinal problems then green poop may be because of intake of medicines like prescription antibiotics.
Simple diagnostic tests will make sure if an individual is suffering from a bacterial infection. A blood test, or urinalysis might be carried out to understand the kind of infection and in order to prescribe proper treatment. If the requirement occurs, your doctor may buy for culture test of the tissue to further the line of treatment. Many bacterial infections that are mild get treated on their own, but in extreme cases, the doctor will suggest prescription antibiotics to treat the condition.
- Ovarian Cyst: Ovarian cyst could be yet another cause.
- This is caused when a cyst, which is a fluid filled sac, is formed in the left ovary of a woman.
Another kind of inflammatory bowel disease associated with white fluffy mucus in stool is the ailment known as ulcerative colitis. This occurs when part of the digestive system is chronically swollen, and ulcers form on the lining of the colon. Bleeding may occur in these ulcers, accompanied by the production of pus or mucus, which may be eventually passed in the stool. Signs other than mucus, might include rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, weight reduction, bloody diarrhea, fatigue, and dehydration.
Doctors are still not able to trace the causes of this bowel condition. Researchers believe that a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract may lead to IBS. If the intestine is sensitive to certain foods, it can damage the colon giving rise to IBS. A weakened immune system vulnerable to viral infections may also lead to IBS.
Beside all these medical reasons, the pain may be due to injury or an abdominal muscle strain due to strenuous activity, like heavy workout or lifting up heavy objects. While conditions like gastritis or irritable bowel syndrome are not life-threatening, ectopic pregnancy or colon cancer surely needs immediate medical attention. It is always a good idea to avoid self-diagnosis and get proper treatment done.
Injury to the back or the vertebrae is one of the most common causes. It can be triggered due to strain in the muscles caused due to muscle pull or twist. Second of all, sprain triggered due to unexpected twisting or wrenching of the ligaments likewise results in abrupt lower neck and back pain.
- All these factors disturb the rhythm of chyme motion from the stomach through the intestinal system to the anus.
- So, this causes the contents of the colon to relocate an unusual method.
- The chyme might move too fast, or may not move at all.
- Nevertheless, the condition does not raise any major or serious concerns, and can be quickly managed.
- Causes As aforementioned, blood in stools is a warning sign of a disease, more specifically a gastrointestinal disorder.
- The most common causes of red or tarry stools include stomach ulcers and damage to the veins in the stomach throughout vomiting.
- Other causes are given below:
An obstruction in the intestines due to factors like volvulus, hernia, Crohn's disease or also due to any adhesion or injury can lead to bowel obstruction. Apart from pain in the abdominal area, muscle cramping and throwing up are the other symptoms.
Symptoms: The symptoms for this condition include groin pain, a feeling of pressure or heaviness in the groin, trouble in passing stool, development of a lump in the groin, and intestinal blockage. The strength of pain might increase when the affected individual bends, coughs, or laughs. Hernia that ends up being trapped in the groin area is called incarcerated hernia. Strangulated hernia is a problem of hernia. It occurs when the blood supply is cut off to incarcerated hernia. It needs immediate medical attention.
People with IBS have sensitive bowels that simply can not tolerate alcohol intake. The irritation due to alcohol consumption can set off intestinal spasms and intensify this inflammatory condition of bowels. The preliminary mood enhancing sensation of drinking alcohol may be followed by days of debilitating abdominal pain and diarrhea. So, if you are complaining about IBS, alcohol can make it agonizingly painful.
- The exact cause for this condition is still not known, but abnormal muscle contractions of the intestinal tract might be a reason.
- This kind of contraction could be either due to an irregularity of the brain (which manages muscle contraction) or the colon.
- The majority of the affected people experience either diarrhea or irregularity primarily.
- In some patients, both conditions may alternate, due to the spastic action of the colon.
- Spastic colon causes consist of trigger factors, like certain foods, stress, other illnesses, like gastrointestinal infections.
- Symptoms of constipation can be relieved with laxatives, having a high-fiber diet, hydration, etc.
- Medication and making changes in lifestyle and diet plan can help in treating diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.