I Have Gerd And Ibs: Small Intestine Diseases
The small intestine, which is also called small bowel, is the section of the intestinal tract that is located between the stomach and the large intestine. The small intestine makes up duodenum, jejunum, and ileum. Though it is called little intestine, it is really the largest part of the digestive tract. The length of the small intestine in adults is around 6 meters. Though the large intestine is about 1.5 meters long, it is called so due to its width. While the small intestine is around 2.5 to 3.5 cm wide, the size of the large intestine has to do with 10 cm. Small bowel performs vital functions involving digestion of food and absorption of essential nutrients from the food into the body. There are a number of diseases that can affect the function of the little bowel in an unfavorable way.
- Ovarian Cyst: Ovarian cyst could be yet another cause.
- This is caused when a cyst, which is a fluid filled sac, is formed in the left ovary of a lady.
Anyone with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) will know that dealing with it is really awful. You never ever know when the next attack is going to strike. Some sufferers are always on the lookout for the closest toilet and prepare their day around not being too far away from a restroom. Other people do not go there frequently enough. In either case, the pain can be dreadful.
Crohn's disease is another kind of inflammatory bowel disease that is defined by the swelling of the gastrointestinal tract. The exact reason for Crohn's illness is unknown, however it is believed that the swelling could be an abnormal response of the immune system. Genes and environmental elements could play a role in the advancement of this condition. Crohn's disease has the tendency to run in households, and those who have a family history of this persistent inflammatory condition are most likely to get affected. The typical signs of this condition include persistent diarrhea, stomach pain, cramps, loss of appetite, weight loss, tiredness, rectal bleeding, etc. The patients might establish anal fissures (tear in the lining of the rectum) or fistula (a small channel that develops between the anal canal and the skin around the rectum).
Another kind of inflammatory bowel disease associated with white fluffy mucus in stool is the condition referred to as ulcerative colitis. This occurs when part of the digestive system is chronically irritated, and ulcers form on the lining of the colon. Bleeding may occur in these ulcers, accompanied by the production of pus or mucus, which may be eventually passed in the stool. Signs other than mucus, might include rectal bleeding, abdominal cramps, weight loss, bloody diarrhea, fatigue, and dehydration.
- Diarrhea can be described as a condition where loose bowel movements occur due to some abnormality in the intestinal tracts.
- Many individuals incorrectly assume it to be a disease, however in fact it is a symptom that shows an underlying health issue in the body.
- When the loose bowel movements occur a number of times in a day, then it is considered as extreme diarrhea.
- It is often accompanied by bloating, queasiness, vomiting, abdominal discomfort, loss of appetite, etc.
- When a big quantity of fluid is lost from the body, excessive diarrhea triggers dehydration.
An obstruction in the intestines due to factors like volvulus, hernia, Crohn's disease or also due to any adhesion or injury can lead to bowel obstruction. Apart from pain in the abdominal area, muscle cramping and throwing up are the other symptoms.
Symptoms: The symptoms for this condition include groin pain, a feeling of pressure or heaviness in the groin, problem in passing stool, development of a lump in the groin, and intestinal blockage. The strength of pain might increase when the affected individual bends, coughs, or laughs. Hernia that becomes trapped in the groin area is called incarcerated hernia. Strangulated hernia is an issue of hernia. It occurs when the blood supply is cut off to incarcerated hernia. It needs immediate medical attention.
Xanax can interact with certain drugs such as barbiturates, which may intensify its sedative properties. Also, antifungal agents like ketoconazole and itraconazole can slow down the metabolism of Xanax, making its sedative effect last longer. So, inform your doctor if your pet is put on any other medication.
Doctors are still not able to trace the causes of this bowel condition. Researchers believe that a bacterial infection in the intestinal tract may lead to IBS. If the intestine is sensitive to certain foods, it can damage the colon giving rise to IBS. A weakened immune system vulnerable to viral infections may also lead to IBS.
Easy diagnostic tests will ensure if an individual is suffering from a bacterial infection. A blood test, or urinalysis might be performed to understand the type of infection and in order to prescribe proper treatment. If the requirement arises, your medical professional may purchase for culture test of the tissue to advance the line of treatment. Many bacterial infections that are moderate get cured by themselves, but in serious cases, the healthcare provider will suggest prescription antibiotics to treat the condition.
Medications In case the person is having green vegetables in moderate amounts and also is not struggling with intestinal problems then green poop may be because of intake of medicines like prescription antibiotics.
- Symptoms: The symptoms of these conditions include abdominal pain, cramps, diarrhea, loss of appetite, and weight loss.
- Treatment: The treatment involves the use of anti-inflammatory drugs.
- In severe cases, surgery may be recommended.
- Stomach pain is caused due to minor conditions, it can be treated with pain killers or by taking rest.
- However, it is suggested not to take any medication without prescription.
- Causes As aforementioned, blood in stools is a warning sign of a disease, more specifically a gastrointestinal disorder.
- The most common causes of red or tarry stools include stomach ulcers and damage to the veins in the stomach throughout vomiting.
- Other causes are given below:
Cayenne Pepper for IBS and Indigestion
Subscribe to Dr. Greger's free nutrition newsletter at http://www.nutritionfacts.org/subscribe and get a free excerpt from his latest NYT Bestseller HOW NOT TO ...
Pancreas is a tube-shaped organ, located behind the stomach. Its head rests on the best side while its tail extends towards the left side of the body. Conditions like long term usage of alcohol and gallstones cause inflammation of the pancreas. Such a disorder is medically explained by the term pancreatitis.
As stress has been considered as one of the causes of IBS, a part of the treatment also consists of taking up measures which might help in managing stress. Parents should guarantee that their kids are getting enough sleep, as well as enough time to be involved in video games and sports. They must also be aware if the kids are working excessive at school, and if they are somehow skipping meals in any part of the day.
Small Bowel Overgrowth Syndrome
Both the small and large intestine include specific strains of bacteria. An individual is diagnosed with small bowel bacterial overgrowth when these bacteria are present in abnormally large numbers in the small intestine.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a common term used to explain a variety of stomach illness and disorders. The precise cause of IBS is unknowned, nevertheless, it is believed that level of sensitivity of the bowel muscles can result in this illness. Muscle cramps, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal and pelvic discomfort are the symptoms of IBS.
- Causes: Certain medical conditions can put a person at a greater risk of developing SBBO.
- These include selective IgA deficiency, motility conditions, diabetes, intestinal obstruction, diverticulosis, and scleroderma.
- Salmonella: This pathogen can cause salmonella food poisoning.
- Salmonella infection, frequently is caused due to polluted poultry items, like raw eggs.
- Treatment: Problems can occur when the contents of the intestine spill over from the perforation into the abdomen.
- The treatment of this condition involves repairing the perforation through surgery.
Foods for Irritable Bowel Syndrome Some think that they can only consume bland or dull food when dealing with IBS, but that is not true. Depending on the intensity of your irritable bowel syndrome, you may discover that just a couple of foods cause issues. In general, there are only a few foods that you must avoid if you wish to stop a flare-up. These foods often trigger problems in multiple clients struggling with the condition.
Causes: This condition can result from trauma to the intestine during a surgery. Perforation could also happen during procedures such as enema or colonoscopy. Swallowing a sharp object can also lead to an injury. Medical conditions that can make a person susceptible to this condition include appendicitis, Crohn's disease, ulcerative colitis, diverticulitis, roundworm problem, or cancer.
Symptoms: Children affected by this condition are likely to experience severe abdominal pain, bloating, irregularity, nausea, vomiting and sudden weight loss. In adults, the symptoms consist of joint pain, seizures, fatigue and anemia. Irregularities in menstruation could be experienced by women who suffer from celiac disease.
Injury to the back or the vertebrae is one of the most common causes. It can be triggered due to strain in the muscles caused due to muscle pull or twist. Second of all, sprain triggered due to unexpected twisting or wrenching of the ligaments also leads to abrupt lower pain in the back.
Medical problems associated with gastrointestinal tract can also lead to floating and foul-smelling stool. However, in this case, feces drifting is commonly accompanied by staining of stools. Also the water content and the texture in these stools deviates from regular expectations. It is explained below:
Digestive tract Parasitic Infections: Another quite common cause is amoebiasis. This is an infectious disease that affects the large intestine, and is mostly contracted when somebody eats or drinks contaminated food or water, containing Entamoeba histolytica, an intestinal parasite. In this disease, the amoeba attach themselves to the large intestine, and cause serious symptoms like bloody diarrhea, stomach cramps, stomach pain, loss of appetite, nausea, and fever. In the initial phases there are mostly no symptoms, but if the person's immunity is low, or if the number of amoeba suddenly increase, then the symptoms end up being visible. This condition is contagious, as the stool that is passed consists of the parasites, hence, it can contaminate the water that it comes in contact with, and spread. Another example of an intestinal parasite is giardiasis, where the causative agent for the condition is a parasite called Giardia lamblia.
- Soluble fiber supplements: These supplements are produced by pharmaceutical companies and are based on various ranges of fiber.
- Psyllium is one such type.
- It is a soluble plant fiber.
- Numerous popular fiber supplements such as Metamucil and Konsyl are based on psyllium.
- It is known to alleviate irregularity and is likewise a dietary fiber supplement for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome).
- Methylcellulose and guar gum are other examples of plant fiber, which form the basis of synthetic fiber supplements.
- A popular synthetic fiber is calcium polycarbophil.
- The drugs called Fibercon and Equalactin are made with it.
Great or Bad?
Now we have finally reached the conclusive point of the uncertainty about flaxseed oil. Well, in spite of being cited as the wealthiest plant source of numerous nutrients, flaxseed and its oil has various side effects. Although rich in fatty acids, they are not enough to provide you all the health and healing properties that you need. In reality, various clinical studies have proven in the past that the majority of the so-called benefits of flaxseed oil are absolutely nothing but a marketing extravaganza.
Order to increase up their sales and market value of their products, many manufacturers have begun to attract support for a couple of false health effects. It is true that this oil contains different essential nutrients, but their amount is not enough to provide significant health benefits! Thus, according to scientists, claims of flaxseed oil being effective against numerous kinds of cancer like prostate cancer, breast cancer, inflammation and various inflammatory diseases and various autoimmune illness, are not so true. In reality, experts claim that increased intake of this oil may rather intensify particular medical conditions like diabetes and digestion diseases.
- Excessive usage of green veggies may result in green defecation which is considered as normal.
- Intake of some medications, supplements, or gastrointestinal disorder might result in green stools.
- Kids in some cases consume chalks or wax colors.
- In that case, green stool may be observed.
- In many cases, green stools suggest dysfunction of colon.
- Constipation Constipation is a health condition where a person has a problem in having regular bowel movement.
- It can be persistent or acute, and can occur due to various factors.
- Abdominal pain are bloating are the common symptoms of constipation.
Beside all these medical reasons, the pain may be due to injury or an abdominal muscle strain due to strenuous activity, like heavy workout or lifting up heavy objects. While conditions like gastritis or irritable bowel syndrome are not life-threatening, ectopic pregnancy or colon cancer surely needs immediate medical attention. It is always suggested to avoid self-diagnosis and get proper treatment done.
- The exact cause for this condition is still not known, but abnormal muscle contractions of the intestinal tract might be a reason.
- This kind of contraction could be either due to an irregularity of the brain (which controls muscle contraction) or the colon.
- The majority of the affected people experience either diarrhea or irregularity predominantly.
- In some patients, both conditions might alternate, due to the spastic action of the colon.
- Spastic colon causes consist of trigger factors, like certain foods, stress, other diseases, like gastrointestinal infections.
Eating too Fast and/or Overeating Due to a busy lifestyle, many a time, people do not have the time to eat in leisure. Eating too fast ought to be avoided as it can cause a bloated stomach. At times, we skip our meals, and when we do eat, we have the tendency to overeat. This burdens the digestive system causing a bloated feeling in the stomach.
Need a simple, non-invasive breath tests to find out whether you have fructose, lactose and sorbitol malabsorption and small intestine bacterial overgrowth? Take the test from Stream Diagnostics, Australia's leading provider of hydrogen/methane breath tests.
Sleepiness is the most commonly observed adverse effects of Xanax in dogs. So your pet if put on this antianxiety medication may become too sleepy. However, this extreme sleepiness can make your pet somewhat awkward. However, this sedative result in your animal may indicate that it has been administered in higher doses than recommended. Xanax, when given at a lower dose, can help relieve stress and anxiety without causing any sedation. So make sure that the drug is administered in the right dose. Other side effects that may take place include gastrointestinal upset, which may cause throwing up, gas, and diarrhea.
In some cases, cysts are formed in the ovaries of females, much better known as ovarian cysts. Existence of cysts in the left ovary triggers mild to severe left side abdominal discomfort. Many-a-times, surgical treatment needs to be carried out to eliminate the cysts from the ovary.
- Eating foods that are not cooked appropriately or prepared in unsanitary conditions can cause food poisoning.
- Having contaminated food makes a person fall sick and the illness may give rise to green defecation.
Stools floating is perfectly normal, thanks to its high water content. Stools that float generally have brownish-yellow color. They are soft, but that does not mean they are watery. Most importantly, they are not hard, hence one does not experience any pain during defecation. Normal stools that float have a diameter of around 3-3.5 cm and they do not produce any foul odor. Also, the floating poop is not large in size and every bowel movement throws 3-4 medium-sized stools.
Bacterial infections of the gastrointestinal tract, that sets off inflammation of the intestine can also trigger floating stools. For instance, people affected with irritable bowel syndrome, pass stools that have the tendency to float. Also, in this condition, too much of mucus is observed in the stools. Also, during bowel movement the person experiences abdominal cramps. Inflammatory bowel diseases such as Crohn's illness and ulcerative colitis that cause inflammation and development of ulcers in the intestine can also lead to feces drifting. Besides, blood in the stools can also be identified and is followed by abdominal cramping. In this condition, the stool also appear black and tarry.
Symptoms: A person who is suffering from this condition is likely to experience symptoms such as pain, a feeling of fullness, extreme gas, distended stomach, diarrhea, bloating, or stomach cramps.
- All these elements disrupt the rhythm of chyme motion from the stomach through the intestinal system to the anus.
- So, this causes the contents of the colon to move in an abnormal method.
- The chyme might move too fast, or might not move at all.
- Nevertheless, the condition does not raise any major or serious issues, and can be easily handled.
People with IBS have sensitive bowels that simply can not tolerate alcohol usage. The irritation due to alcohol consumption can activate intestinal spasms and intensify this inflammatory condition of bowels. The initial mood enhancing sensation of drinking alcohol may be followed by days of debilitating abdominal pain and diarrhea. So, if you are complaining about IBS, alcohol can make it agonizingly painful.
- Green Bile As we all know, the liver produces a green colored digestive juice referred to as the bile.
- The production of bile is necessary to guarantee proper digestion of food.
- It is a known fact that stool development takes place in the big intestine.
- When the bile goes into the large intestine, it eventually turns yellowish brown and then mixes with the stool.
- This is the reason why stool appears brown in color.
- However, if the bile and the stool formed move quickly out of the large intestinal tract, it is not likely that the bile will become yellow.
- So, with the bile color staying the same (green), the waste matter also appears greenish-yellow throughout bowel movement.
- Fecal Occult Blood Test: This is one test that is used when blood in feces is not visible to the naked eye.
- In such a case, unusual color may not be seen, due to presence of small amount of blood in stool.
- This test is the most reliable way to confirm blood in feces.
- In order to identify the underlying cause, different blood tests are performed.
- This is a low-cost, non invasive treatment that offers details about the exact quantity of blood in stool sample.
- An easy method to carry out fecal occult blood test is given below:
- Diverticulitis Diverticulitis is a condition that develops when the diverticula or the sacs located inside the stomach get irritated.
- Sharp stomach pain, fever, nausea, modifications in bowel habits, etc., are the signs of diverticulitis.
- Pain in the lower quadrant of the abdomen can be caused due to various factors.
- In most of the cases, it is caused due to an injury or a condition in any of the vital organs situated in the abdomen.
- Nevertheless, there can also be other underlying causes.
Small Intestine Cancer
Cancer is a major medical condition that is characterized by development of a growth due to abnormal and uncontrolled cell division. Small bowel cancer is rare when compared with other cancers of the intestinal tract. There are five types of cancer that can affect the small bowel. These include adenocarcinoma, gastrointestinal stromal tumor, lymphoma, sarcoma, and carcinoid tumors.
Ulcerative Colitis: Ulcerative colitis is colitis in which the swelling is a result of autoimmune function where the body immune system has started assaulting the colon. This then causes the appearance of many ulcers on the colon in addition to the broken function. In extreme cases treatment for ulcerative colitis is surgical treatment (colectomy) but in immunotherapy can be utilized in order to prevent the immune system from switching on the colon.
- Symptoms of constipation can be relieved with laxatives, having a high-fiber diet, hydration, etc.
- Medication and making changes in lifestyle and diet plan can help in treating diverticulitis and irritable bowel syndrome.