Diagnosing Ibs: Symptoms Testing and Treatment of IBS in Men - Understanding the Diagnosis
IBS or irritable bowel syndrome is a very common colon disorder. Also known as spastic colon, this disease affects approximately 15% of the population in The United States and Canada. Though it is alright to have digestive disorders once in a while, people suffering with this disease may experience it more often than others. The patient may experience digestive problems like belly pains and diarrhea more often since the symptoms come and go quite frequently. IBS is a chronic disease that can stay with you for life long. There are a few things that one should look into when dealing with signs checking treatment for IBS in men. Let us understand what these issues are.
Besides the aforementioned conditions, the existence of mucus in the feces could be attributed to lactose intolerance, bacterial overgrowth, bowel obstruction, or rectal ulcers. The exact cause can be ascertained by evaluating the patient's medical history, and conducting a physical examination and diagnostic tests. Though symptoms can be alleviated by drug therapy or other treatment options, making certain lifestyle changes is extremely necessary when it comes to dealing with digestive disorders. Following a healthy diet and increasing the intake of water will certainly prove beneficial.
Overall, we understand how hard travelling can be when you are experiencing IBS, so be sure to comply with the recommendations above about IBS support when taking a trip to make sure you holiday isn't spoilt by your IBS symptoms.
Watermelon, being high in water content, is absorbed in just 20 minutes, whereas the food digestion time for oranges and grapes is approximately 30 minutes. Apples take slightly more time, around 40 minutes, as they consist of substantial amount of fiber. The quantity of time invested in digesting plant-based dishes, such as green tossed salad, varies from 30 to 40 minutes.
Associated Diseases & Disorders
Burning stomach pain can be mild or extreme, depending on the illness of which it is a sign. There are various conditions like GERD, stomach flu, UTI, lactose intolerance, etc., in which you can experience burning pain in stomach. Listed below are the various diseases which can be attributed to this symptom. The other symptoms of the diseases are likewise noted, so that you can identify the root cause.
Dr. Susan Lucak Speaks About Diagnosing IBS-C and CIC
Gastroenterologist Dr. Susan Lucak explains the symptoms of Irritable Bowel Syndrome with Constipation (IBS-C) and Chronic Idiopathic Constipation (CIC).
Irritable Bowel Syndrome:
Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a disorder of the lower intestine system. Stomach pain is the most prominent sign of IBS. It is also characterized by irregular bowel movements. A person may either struggle with constipation or diarrhea. Loss of appetite, nausea, and vomiting are the other signs of IBS.
Most of the cases, abdominal discomfort is caused due to indigestion or constipation. However, if other signs like fever, backache, etc., are observed along with it, you can not rule out the possibility of a severe underlying disorder. As several essential organs are located in the right abdominal area, there can be many possible reasons for persistent or acute lower abdominal pain.
- Spondylitis Spondylitis occurs when the vertebrae or the back joint gets inflamed.
- It can be of different types like ankylosing, rheumatoid, traumatic, spondylitis deformans, Kmmel, and Marie-Strmpell, etc.
- Tightness, particularly after getting up in the morning, back pain, etc., are the symptoms of this condition.
Following food and drink is of course medications. It is essential to take along appropriate medications on your travels to ensure your journey is not spoilt by illness. One key medication to take with you is rehydration sachets including Dioralyte, Electrolite or Rehidrat. These are specifically useful for times when you have the runs and feel dehydrated. Another vital medication is your very own products of anti-spasmodics like Buscopan, Colofac or Mebeverine together with anti-diarrhoeal medications. A key piece of advice when carrying these medications is to have them in your hand luggage and in their original packages, this way you will not have any concerns with customs.
- Treatment: Antibiotics can treat the initial and milder signs of PID.
- In severe cases, if the inflammation has caused an abscess, a surgery may be required.
- Which vegetables does the digestion system find simpler to process?
- Raw or cooked?
- Studies show that prepared veggies are a better option, when it pertains to making the job of digestive system simpler.
- Individuals with chronic intestinal issues are likewise not likely to endure consumption of raw veggies.
- Butterflies in your stomach may not be just a figure of speech any more.
- If you have been under a lot of stress, chances are that you may also suffer from some stomach problems.
- The following medical conditions may be linked with your tension.
Urinary Tract Infection
Urinary tract infection (UTI) is a collective name used to explain infection in either parts of the urinary system: the kidneys, the ureters, the bladder, or the urethra. Bacterial infection in the urinary tract gives rise to this disease.
Symptoms: Sharp lower abdominal pain, lower back pain, queasiness, vomiting, problem while urination, fever, brown colored urine, etc
Food identified as "diet," "sugar-free," or "low-carb," have a laxative effect because they contain mannitol, maltitol, and sorbitol. Taking in these products can lead to one feeling full, and can ultimately lead to bloating.
- Fruits are regarded as quick digesting foods.
- This is since the fruits themselves contain digestive enzymes that actually assist to promote food digestion.
- In general, foods that are mashed are easier to absorb.
Gastroenteritis, or stomach flu, is caused due to viral infection in the stomach and intestines. It is caused due to consumption of contaminated food or water. It frequently affects children. Symptoms of this condition are similar to food poisoning.
- How to manage digestive issues?
- Taking the required medications may not be sufficient to handle digestion issues effectively.
- Individuals with digestion disorders such as gastritis and IBS, find it hard to consume certain foods.
- Likewise with age, lots of unfavorable modifications happen in the digestion system and thus it ends up being required to modify the diet plan.
Natural IBS Relief - Bavolex: All-Natural Relief for IBSBavolex IBS Relief is formulated with herbs formulated to gently support and calm digestion. Bavolex contains only the highest quality botanical active ingredients that have been scientifically formulated to work for the best results. Bavolex's active ingredients have been used safely for hundreds of years to support healthy digestive tract, helping in reducing irritation from diarrhea and constipation. Now they are all combined into this unique IBS formula. Decreasing bowel inflammation and supporting healthy digestion has been shown to ease the discomfort and flare-ups associated with Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
More about This Product »
- Constipation When you have a problem with bowel movements, the food consumed is not thrown out of the body.
- It results in the food being fermented in the stomach, generating gases, which move in the digestive tract and put pressure on the stomach.
- Constipation is another significant cause of a bloated stomach.
- Treatment: Antibiotics are used to treat UTI.
- Drinking adequate amounts of water, practicing good health, and safe sex helps in treatment and prevention of UTI.
Foods that Worsen IBS
Gaseous Foods Bloating and abdominal cramping is one of the most common symptoms of IBS. Gassy foods (Brussel sprouts, asparagus, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, artichokes) promote accumulation of intestinal gas, which can make bloating more severe. IBS clients can get into trouble when they have meals that contain gaseous foods.
- Symptoms: Mild to severe discomfort in the abdomen (on one side), vaginal bleeding, sweating, diarrhea, etc .
- Treatment: If detected in early stages, medications are prescribed to terminate the pregnancy and treat the symptoms.
- In later stages, surgical techniques may be required to treat the abnormalities.
- Treatment: In most of the cases, making changes in your diet and lifestyle can help in dealing with constipation.
- The doctor will also recommend medication or laxatives to cure chronic constipation.
- In severe cases, a surgery will be recommended if the person deals with intestinal blockage.
Symptoms: Difficulty and pain during urination, blood in urine, fever, queasiness, pelvic pain, tender stomach, vomiting, etc., are the symptoms of urinary tract infection.
- Symptoms: Nausea, vomiting, pain in the testicles and scrotum, lower abdominal discomfort, swelling, etc .
- Treatment: Surgery is required to deal with testicular torsion.
- If detected at an early stage, testicles can be saved.
- If not, they may have to be removed.
Cancer Although rare, abdominal pain can be one of the symptoms of colon cancer, bowel cancer, stomach cancer (also called gastric cancer), ovarian cancer, etc. Cancer is triggered due to an uncontrolled growth of cells (tumor) inside a specific organ.
- Diverticulitis Sometimes, sacs or pouches, known as diverticula, bulge out from the wall of the colon.
- The swelling or inflammation of these diverticula is called diverticulitis.
- The exact cause of diverticulitis is unknown.
Treatment: Surgical removal of the inflamed appendix is the most recommended and reliable methods used to treat appendicitis.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
The exact cause of IBS is not known, but there are theories that link the increased level of sensitivity of the intestine to the miscommunication in between the brain and the intestine. It is also believed that those who have been affected by an acute gastrointestinal infection are more likely to develop IBS. IBS could be diarrhea-predominant or constipation-predominant. Some of the affected people may have IBS with a rotating stool pattern. People who are affected by diarrhea-predominant IBS are likely to pass mucus in stools. The affected people are likely to experience signs such as abdominal pain, bloating, change in bowel habits, loose and watery stools, etc.
Pelvic Inflammatory Disease
The Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID), as the name suggests, is a disease characterized by swelling of the female reproductive system. It is one of the serious consequences of STD. Having a history of Sexually transmitted diseases, having unprotected sex with multiple partners, etc., increase the risk of infection. PID can lead to infertility in women.
- Treatment: Home treatment and medication can help in passing smaller kidney stones.
- You will need a surgery to break and get rid of large kidney stones.
Easy to Digest Fruits
In case you thought just vegetables were quickly digestible and fruits are not, due to their sugar content, then you need a rethink. There are many fruits that are not heavy on the food digestion system. Some of them are mentioned listed below: Food digestion Time of Fruits and Vegetables.
The first and most important area to look at is drinking. A frequent situation people find themselves in is dehydration when in hotter nations. Be sure to drink a good amount of water as you can lose fluid very speedily in hot countries. Together with the warm weather being a cause of dehydration, there is that little thing we enjoy called alcohol. Alcoholic drinks aggravate dehydration and give you a headache, so you ought to definitely avoid drinking extreme amounts of alcohol. Now you know it is vital to drink water, be sure the water you drink is bottled, as foreign countries have diverse purities of water which can result in an upset stomach. Then you must try to keep in mind to avoid swallowing any water from swimming pools or lakes, as these are not actually supposed to be swallowed and are known to cause difficulties to health when ingested.
Symptoms: Passing stools for less than 3 times in a week, passing very hard stools, abdominal cramps, straining when passing stools, rectal pain, weight loss (in chronic cases), etc
Symptoms: Signs of stomach cancer are similar to the symptoms of other stomach disorders. Discomfort in abdomen, nausea, indigestion, fatigue, vomiting, weight loss, heartburn, abdominal fullness, weak point, etc., are a few of the early symptoms.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome
This is a common disorder of the digestive system, more specifically, the colon. When dealing with this disorder, the individual experiences alternating bouts of constipation and diarrhea. The cause of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is unknown. Stress, digestion related disorders, hormonal imbalance, etc., are believed to be the possible causes.
Treatment: Making changes in the diet and lifestyle can manage IBS to a great extent. Medicines, laxatives, antidiarrheals, antispasmodics, etc., are helpful in relieving the symptoms. If IBS is triggered due to stress and mental disorders, the patient ought to go for appropriate therapy and treatment methods.
- Treatment: A combination of surgery, radiation and chemotherapy are the typical treatment approaches for cancer.
- Surgical removal of tumor or contaminated part; radiation therapy, etc., can help in treating cancer to a great extent, if diagnosed early.
Crohn's disease is caused due to the body's autoimmune response which affects the digestive system, resulting in swelling. Based on the location of inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract, the complications of Crohn's disease may vary. Some of the noticeable symptoms include weakness, stomach irritation, diarrhea, throwing up, weight loss, and at times, skin issues.
Similar to pain, stomach tightness, when followed by other symptoms, should not be ignored as it can be a symptom of a severe disorder. If left untreated, the majority of the diseases can turn chronic, and can be difficult to treat. Therefore, it is recommended to seek advice from a doctor right away and undertake timely treatment. Take care!
Symptoms: Diarrhea, irregularity, bloating, flatulence, abdominal cramps, headache, fatigue, pain, loss of appetite, etc
This condition occurs when the spermatic cable (in males) gets twisted, resulting in sudden and severe pain. Due to the twisting of the cord, blood flow is affected. In severe cases, it can even lead to total damage to the testis.
What Causes Mucus in Stool?
More often than not, inflammatory bowel disease is thought to be the contributing factor for excess mucus in the feces. The term 'inflammatory bowel illness' (IBD) refers to a group of medical conditions that are associated with the small intestine or the colon. However, medical conditions other than IBD could also cause mucous in the fecal matter.
Constipation A person is diagnosed with constipation when he/she has defecation less than three times a week. Poor diet, inadequate intake of water and fluids, lack of physical activity, prolonged use of certain drugs, misuse of laxatives, etc., are some of the common contributing factors for irregularity. Besides infrequent bowel movement, constipation is characterized by a feeling of incomplete evacuation of the bowel, difficult evacuation of the bowel due to hard stool, bloating, and pain. As the stool ends up being hard and dry, the affected individual has to strain during defecation. This can make him/her susceptible to the development of anal fissures, hemorrhoids, or rectal prolapse. Rectal prolapse is said to take place when a part of the lining of the intestinal tract protrudes from the anal opening. Rectal prolapse could lead to the secretion of mucus.
Causes and Treatment Although disorders of the stomach like food poisoning, injury, infection, etc., top the list of reasons for stomach pain, it can also be caused due to reasons not related to the stomach at all.
The final things to think about are toilet stops throughout your journey. Whether you choose to travel through coach, plane or car there are a number of ways to attempt preparing your toilet stops. If travelling by coach one important thing to think about is that the coach has an on-board toilet, that way you know you have access to the toilet at any time through the trip. If your selection is by car, then plan your journey and know where the toilets are on your travels. Wherever you go there will tourist board information centres which can direct you to the nearby toilets.
Last but not least, if air travel is your decision then be sure to schedule a seat beforehand which is an aisle seat, this means you will not have to clamber over people to reach the toilets. You should also consider pre booking your dietary requirements such as gluten free, low fat etc. Many people endure nervousness when flying and for IBS affected people this can trigger signs of their condition, so be sure to relax and use comfortable clothes. Some people find taking a moderate sedative can help when flying.
Symptoms: Lower abdominal and lower back pain, difficulty throughout urination, irregular menstrual cycle, vaginal spotting, diarrhea, vomiting, pain throughout sex, etc
- Lot of solutions can be done to treat it but you have to make sure of the symptoms first prior to doing anything.
- You might check ibstreatments.com for some of the details you have to find the remedies that matches you best.
- There are different kinds of signs in addition to various kinds of solutions that can help you.
- The various symptoms that one may come across are traits such as cramps mainly in the stomach area, diarrhea, bloating, irregularity and spasm.
- And its treatments differ on the kind of signs that may strike you.
Under Section 5 of DSHEA, the content material within this article or webpage is for customer and educational purposes only. * These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA. These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, treat, or prevent any disease.
Abdominal pain, of any kind, should not be ignored as it is one of the potential symptoms of any of the aforementioned severe disorders. It is a good idea to consult the doctor and look for proper treatment methods. Take care!